Thursday, January 31, 2013

How slow is too slow?

When I initially named this blog - the turtle part was supposed to be a joke...I'm really not that slow, and was working on breaking 8 min miles before struggling through the first 3 months of not knowing I was pregnant and slowing down to 9s, then 9.5s. I can still pull out an 8 here and there, but there is some serious round ligament pain as a result.

After a visit to the doc today, it seems as though I have been told to slow down. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't tell me to stop altogether, but how slow is slow?

I struggle with speed because I don't do proper speed training and haven't been able to organize myself into a program in the past year. I struggle with speed because I actually don't have a typical runner's body. I'm not really lanky unless it's 3 weeks before a marathon and I've dropped every extra ounce of fat that was keeping me curvy. So, now, having to slow down even more than the pregnancy has naturally made me slow down is extremely discouraging. I'm thinking it might be time for more cross-training, and less time for 10-milers. SO UPSETTING. But I also thought that the round ligament pain would subside, and it's been getting worse - like it hurts when I walk now. Yuck.

Gazelle that I strive to be and Turtle that I have become- there is no way I can give up running altogether, even if it means I'm at a 11 min/mile pace.. which quite frankly, is just walking quickly with a fun little bounce. There might be more controlled treadmill runs, or more time allotted to my commute, but I know one guy that won't be sad about this!
Watching a Movie with O!

By the way - the wind this morning was insane! Running across the bridge was like running on a  tiltled treadmill. The wind was my original topic for this entry - but how much can I really say about the wind?

It was incredibly strong and fun and whipped up waves from the Hudson onto the path on the West Side. I'm glad I don't have to deal with it daily, but it was a good challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment