Saturday, January 12, 2013

First Entry - 25 Weeks

I've been an avid runner since I was about 11. My coach/science teacher mentioned that running would keep me healthy and ensure that I wouldn't get large child-bearing hips (that's the part that always stuck with me).

I have some hips, and I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant - and running.

Most people think I'm insane to keep up my runs, but I've found an amazing sense of support and relief in reading the blogs of fellow mother-runners and pregnant runners. Especially http://www.nycrunningmama.com, http://runfargirl.com and http://www.makinggoodchoicesblog.com.

Being a marathoner is a challenge to begin with. The payoff is far greater than the sacrifice, but there are always mornings that kick my butt. On top of that, I have a 3-year old...and now pregnant with the second. I ran 40 to 50 miles a week in my first trimester, but as the second is coming to a close, I'm lucky if I can get in 20. It's busy around here! And I'm slowing down.

I've had to fit my runs into my commutes - meaning - I'm that crazy pregnant lady running to work with a backpack. I have to say - destination-running is incredibly satisfying and my route is amazing. I get to cross the Brooklyn Bridge and enter Manhattan on foot 3 times a week. The West Side Highway is a treat - it's flat, safe and there is very little fear of wiping out (I've had some awesome spills crossing the city.. not recently!) I hope to fit in 3 or 4 runs a week as long as I can. I've identified Johnny-on-the-Spots, learned to carry food, and sometimes take conference calls en route when I'm late.

Anyhow - stay tuned for some adventures. There's always something happening and I hope that I can offer some level of interest and support to fellow pregnant runners and mom-runners!

No comments:

Post a Comment